Sainte Reine's chape and the Cordeliers

Reine, a young Gallic Christian girl martyred by Olibrius, a Roman prefect, soon became a figure of popular worship. The miraculous spring, which gushed forth on the spot where the saint was beheaded, enjoyed a revival of fervour, especially from the 17th century onwards (with 60,000 pilgrims a year, according to estimates made in that era). As a consequence, many conflicts of interests arose between the bishop of Autun (who was the Lord of Alise), the local priest and the villagers.

Anne d’Autriche, the Kingdom’s Regent as well as Louis XIV’s mother, sent Franciscans (Cordeliers) to Alise-Sainte-Reine to restore peace, run the place and provide the souls of the “poor pilgrims” with relief. They arrived in 1644 and stayed until the French Revolution, when they are deported and their convent torn down.

Sainte Reine’s chapel is the only trace of the Franciscans that remains in Alise-Sainte-Reine. It’s building began in 1666 and it was destroyed by a fire 130 years later. It was rebuilt in 1863, with several alterations made later.

It holds a few pieces of furniture worth, seeing (statues made in the 16th century, chasubles cupboards, a painting representing the founders of the Hospital…).